This one has been around forever; and, you can generally tell when the resellers chirp in on the issue, just by what they say about it. Re ammo: (1) CMPicon should at the very least require buyers of ammo to sign a paper that states that it's NOT for resale. Sure, this may not stop it, but it will give some federal prosecutor an option to prosecute in an aggravated case. One gun show guy getting a large fine or even going to jail for a false statement would get the word out very quickly.(2) CMP could certainly limit ammo quantities, or get out of the ammo business altogether - and I'm not sure that they may eventually want to do this; it would certainly remove this "problem" for them, and I'm not sure we could blame them. Re Rifles: Here, there is a far more urgent need to demonstrate that CMP is doing the responsible thing for a number of legal and political reasons. I.e., I'm sure that there will be increasing pressure over the next few years to shut down the CMP, or at least impose new restrictions on rifle sales; and, documented commercial sales or re-sales of CMP rifles will do nothing but sharpen the political pressures to do this. It's really simple: CMP rifles are simply not intended for resale and those in the business (or practice) of doing it should be prevented - at least discouraged - from doing it. But, how to do it without being unreasonable? Again, its seems reasonable to require buyers to at least sign a paper that the rifle is not being purchased for resale. How about a sale restriction based on length of time of ownership? However, what about estate sales and the collector/shooter that simply wants to give their collection to their family? These issue s would need to be addressed as well. One thing for sure: Truckload purchasers of ammo and rifles that end up at gun shows in the next few days need to be addressed/limited/prevented or the political climate will soon force changes few of us will be happy with. JMHO.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.