I have a No4 that I obtained a couple of months ago. It is nothing remarkable and based upon past assistance on this site, I know it was made in 1943 and spent time in Turkeyicon. The bolt serial number does not match the receiver serial number. After a few days of work, it cleaned up pretty well. It was definitely uncared for for many years.

The rifle shoots and functions fine except for 2 problems -

1. When pulling the bolt back, it seems to stick at a certain point and requires extra effort to pull all the way back. I have 2 other Enfields (a No 1 and an Ishapore 2A1) and they do not do this. I have tried oil, grease, and functioning the bolt rapidly many times, but it still hangs up in that one position (please see photos).

2. During firing, the bolt will sometimes stick in the down/closed position and will not move upward and back to extract the spent case. Application of significant force is needed to function the bolt. It does this every few rounds but functions properly (other than Problem 1 which is also noticed during use).

I am new to No 4's so any knowledge or advice would be helpful in solving these issues. Thank you!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.