I recently purcased a M44 Mosin Ngant manufactured in 1944 at the Izhevsk arsenal. It is in good shape with a very shiney bore. The bore has a counter-bore of about one inch at the muzzle end. This appears to have been done at an arsenal at some point during a refurb. The gun has been in Polish hands at some time juding by the marks. When I went out to shoot it today for the first time the sights were WAY off. At one hundred yards the bullets were hitting approx 2 feet low and 1 foot left of my intended target. As for the group itself it was within 3-4 inches so I know it is consistent. I am not new to mosin nagants by any means. I have had one for a while now and can shoot 300 meters targets on a regular basis at the range. What can I do to adjust the sights? I know the front sight is on a dovetail so I assume it can be moved left to right with slight taps of a hammer. As for making the up/down adjustment is the front sight post adjustable? Possibly a screw style adjstment? Is it possible to adjust this or am I stuck with this terrible accuracy? Does anyone have a better way to do it or has anyone had this problem before? Thanks to all who help.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.