Attachment 34126Got up at six am and headed to the range after coffee and loading the truck. Set up a target and settled in at the 25 yd sighting line. Aimed at the lower edge of the target and buried the front sight in the V of the rear sight. Bang! Hog Eye, as me shooting partner likes to say when the X-ring is hit. OK, yesterday after much research and discussion, I loaded three different combinations for the Carcano:
140 gr Nosler Partition with 27.3 gr IMR 4064
160 gr Hornady .268 Round Nose with 27.3 gr IMR 4064
160 gr Hornady .264 Round Nose with 27.3 gr IMR 4064

Fired a shielded test shot into the backstop while hiding behind some 2x6s just to be safe. Nothing exciting happened. Fired the first shot as described above, then two more of the 140s. (see photo) Not a bad three shot grouping for an old girl with questionable handloads - two Xs and a 10.

Next, I tried on of the Hornady 160 gr .268. Again fired behind 2x6s. It went bang, but when I went to extract the case, the bolt was locked closed. After some banging on the bolt handle, the bolt turned, but left the case in the chamber. I used a cleaning rod o remove the case. On inspection, the bolt face had made an impression on the case and the primer was cratered. I didn't fire anymore of the .268s.

Next I tried the Hornady 160 ge .264s. Fired one sighter - the hole on the edge of the 10 ring in the photo. I decided to hold off until I can get a taller front sight installed.

I think this is going to be a keeper.Attachment 34126
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.