Quote Originally Posted by vintage hunter View Post
Why? The rifle appears to be in unissued condition and has matching #'s so beyond verifying it's still in the original 7.92x57/8mm mauser chambering( that's a dirt simple task you could do yourself) there's not much else your good 'smith is going be able to tell you that you don't already know. Personally I wouldn't waste the $$ having the headspace checked, the gages your 'smith is going to use will be, in all probabilities, made to SAAMI specifications and the rifle certainly was not so chances are he's going tell you the rifle is unsafe to shoot because the bolt closes on the no-go when there's nothing actually wrong with it.
Unissued, really!?! Dang... that's awesome. Oh man, wish I could scope this gem and use her for hunting.

Yeah, funny I was just reading about the SAAMI measuring tools issue last night.
I just meant to verify it for safety. But, mostly, to verify the ammo I have is safe.

Took the rifle to a safe location, pointed in a safe direction, and inserted a single 8mm round, closed the bolt, opened the bolt, and perfectly ejected the round 7 feet to my 4 o'clock.
The ammo looks good, and some of it is obviously newer.

Here are some pics of the 8mm ammo:
Loaded/ejected this one:

Have bunch of these, but are they 8mm?