Last On
    05-28-2024 @ 09:19 PM
    Local Date
    06-03-2024
    Local Time
    01:19 AM

Re Fitting a No. 4 Mk 1* Fore-end

Good Afternoon.

I am in the process of refitting the fore-end to my No. 4 Mk 1* and have run into a few issues. Brian fitted a new barrel and bolt head for me (for a small fee Thanks Brian!).

So a few notes. I have read Peter's article on fitting fore-ends a few times already (probably need to read it 10 more times).

1) With the barreled body inverted on the bench and the fore-end placed on it if you just put a little pressure down at the magazine well the fore-end does not move fore/aft. Draws OK?

2) The front trigger guard screw takes just over 6 3/4 turns to contact with and without the collar fitted.

3) With the front trigger guard screw tightened the aft part of the trigger guard does not line up with the hole in the body (see first picture). It's up about 1/8".

4) With the front trigger guard screw tightened and the rifle laid across my legs fore-end down on my 4 fingres I cannot press down on the barrel with my thumb. It just barely touches the fore-end at the muzzle. If I force the trigger guard down at the rear so the holes line up the muzzle comes up off the fore-end by about 1/32"-1/16". This is no bueno.

5) The trigger guard appears to be flat when I lay a straight edge along both sides of the magazine opening.

6) The barrel is just off center of the channel in the fore-end. I can wiggle the back of the body very slightly left and right to get it centered. Draws NOT ok? Opening in fore-end too large and needs a bit of shimming? Picture 2.

So the first question is where to start? I'm guessing that this is the result of this rifle being over 80 years old and having been all over the place.

Thanks

Stuart
    Last edited by flygrimm; 01-06-2024 at 05:11 PM. Reason: New info