This last Saturday at the range a shooting friend gave me 5 boxes of Winchester once fired brass. He shot all of it at the range that day using 5 different 22-250's he's taking on a PD hunt. Seems he had a large quanity and wanted to shoot it up hunting, like 60 boxes he bought on sale at a K-Mart.
After prepping the brass, I found Remington 9 1/2 LR primers were much too easy to insert, in fact I could push them almost to the bottom of the pocket with my hand. I then tried Rem. LR Mag. primers, Win, and CCI, same problem. I called my friend and told him of the problem and he said he too had this problem and wasn't going to purchase anymore Win. brass. He was just going to shoot this stuff up.
I was getting ready to toss them into the recycle drum and remembered I just bought those two cases of Wolf LRM primers. I tried inserting one primer and found it to seat good and tight! I continued throughout the entire 100 cases and each one was a good seat. Looks like I gave up too soon on many other cases. I am going to go through my recycle drum and see if the Federal brass I tossed for loose primer pockets is fixed using the Wolf. Will let everyone know when I get to it.
All I can say is, try different primers first before tossing the brass. And in the end, if a Wolf LR Mag doesn't seat, then toss it! I also noticed that the cups are harder on the Wolf than the Remington LR Mag primer.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.