FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    12-04-2009 @ 08:31 PM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    09:27 AM
    Remember the pulldown period of '03 and '04? 4K M1icon and 3K M2 bullets, 8 jugs of CMR-100 powder, 2 jugs of 4895, 8 jugs of 2230C, 2K of '06 match brass, 1K of .308 match brass, 5C of 852 brass, 2K of LC72 brass, PU 10K of #34 primers @15/1K about 18 months ago. Is that "smart shopping" or "hoarding"? When the primer thing gets better, some SR primers are in the offing though.

OFC
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Dan In Indiana; 07-29-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: addition

Last On
    09-29-2023 @ 06:19 PM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    10:27 AM

No Judgement rendered here

At my consumption, 30K of primers is at best a 18 month supply so to me , thats not a lot of primers. If I could buy that far in advance and afford it at one time without taking out a loan, I would do it.

I got no problem with a man buying what he needs and obviously, he can afford to do that.

I guess I am hoarding cause I got a lot of guns, should have just bought only a few so others would have a choise and better menu to purchase guns on the market?

I got too many guns, not enough primers and certainly not enough powder.

At age 62, I got little time to want something and not have it: primers are one of those things I will buy lots of when I see them in reach.
    Last edited by milprileb; 07-30-2009 at 12:01 PM.

3. Thank You to milprileb For This Useful Post:

TDH

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    12-10-2013 @ 11:46 PM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    07:27 AM
    i am a smart buyer, not a hoarder, but I am now using small and large match federal primers I Hoarded(bought) the last time the stuff was short on supply,remember around the early nineties? so, I would and will put alot moe powder away for future use , and I sill have enough primer material in storage that I won't need to stock up on primers for another year or two. Just buying for the rainy day, which has come again, hasn't it?

Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    Guys! Hoarding drives up the prices for no good reason. Buying what you don't need hurts all of us. I am used to paying $24.95 for 1k of primers. They now sell for $40.00-80.00. ONLY because of hoarding. Please yourself, for sure, but don't expect a Bronze Star from me!

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    08-30-2009 @ 06:48 AM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
    Guys! Hoarding drives up the prices for no good reason. Buying what you don't need hurts all of us. I am used to paying $24.95 for 1k of primers. They now sell for $40.00-80.00. ONLY because of hoarding. Please yourself, for sure, but don't expect a Bronze Star from me!
    Through Widener's, six cases of Wolf primers, Hazmat and shipping just last week, cost me $916.65. Cost per 1000 is $30.56. A year ago from Wideners I paid $691.50 for the same order. Everyone I know is buying components, and it's not about hoarders, it's about OBAMA and his band of thieves. Check out HR-45 and how they are trying to put that on the back of an IRS bill. When you start reading what they want, you'd change your tune on others buying what they believe they need to protect themselves.
    Also, I can't see your logic in your attack against those that buy for their own stock! No one is stopping you from buying whatever you want, why are you judging others as if they are doing something wrong?

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    10-19-2013 @ 06:04 PM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    Comrade Steve:

Primers are only being sold at that price because of supply and demand. There was a great demand because alot of uninformed people (and I'm sure some gun owners) voted for the current anti-gun president. As companies sold out of their stocks and manufacturing wasn't able to keep up with demand, people who had the items put some up for sale. I know I have been selling some of my ammo that I refuse to shoot because of the price to replace it. I now shoot my reloads.

If someone needed your primers really bad and offered you 20 times what you paid for them, would you sell? Are you now gougeing them? Did you hord primers/ammo? I'll bet you are not out of ammo so I guess you are hording ammo by not allowing others to buy what you have.

You fail to take into account that the dollar is losing value, hence, prices go higher. It is also my understanding that bullet/primer companies, lock in prices on commodities for periods of time. If they locked in when the price of the metal was high, then well, the consumer is going to pay the price, if they want the goods.

If you think that everyone should just stop shooting/buying components, so the price will go down so you can buy them, you are not living in reality. I guess you were big into the no buying gas days also huh?

If you want prices to go down, buy less of the things you think are too high priced. I normally buy several thousand primers in a order because it is cheaper to do so, and I'll know I have enough to get me though in times like these.

Supply is catching up to demand and the price of primers hasn't risen that much. There was just reciently, a bunch of wolf primers in stock for several days. At some point, in the near future, the people who have been "hording" all these components will have their fill and stop buying components. Then there will be all you need out there. Maybe when that happens, you might want to stock up when things cost less and are available.

I have no ill will towards anyone who buys enough of what they need when it is available. I don't blame anyone for buying an item for the express purpose of turning a profit (CMPicon items are the only exception but that is a whole other issue). I refuse to pay 40-80 dollars for primers and will wait until prices come down. I stocked up on enough reloading components when they were cheap to last me for the forseeable future.

For anyone out there who is pointing fingers about hording, what is the acceptable level of buying? 100 primers? 100 rds of ammo? What?

Do you have any problems with people buying 30000 primers if primers were 20/1000 and in stock everywhere? If your answer to this question is you don't have a problem when supplies are plentiful and cheap, then I fail to see your logic when supplies are in short supply. If your answer is it was still hording, explain why you weren't complaining 2 years ago?

If you take anything from this experience, remember, "buy it cheap and stack it deep."
    Last edited by colt100; 08-11-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    Lets hope this buying panic convinces us to vote early, vote often. We do have a voice, use it.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    08-30-2009 @ 06:48 AM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    Lets hope this buying panic convinces us to vote early, vote often. We do have a voice, use it.
    The late Richard J. Daley, former Mayor of Chicago always said to the city before an election, "To Vote and Vote Often!" Anyway, I think people voted on promises that will never happen when they voted for the communist we now have residing at our White House.
    Next time it would be better to vote on a candidates accomplishments instead of his lies spewing out of his face hole. Hope we can believe in, look at the mess he has put us under!!!!!!!!!! Let's hope we can survive at the present rate of spending!

Last On
    05-16-2021 @ 09:14 AM
    Real Name
    Tom
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    And this from a person that lives in a state that continually gives us Feinstein,Boxer and Pelosie.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    12-09-2014 @ 10:36 PM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    07:27 AM
    Matt:
    I'm not attacking your decision to buy how many primers you want or why, but by your own admission you bought 30,000 primers you didn't need. The hoarding by you and others is hurting us- the other members of this board (shooters and reloaders). The logic there is that you (and others) are causing us to pay alot more for primers etc if we can find them. Why then would we be happy for you? Or as Calif-Steve put it, why would we give you a Bronze Star for your conduct?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast