I've got you tell you that of all the forums the people on MILSURP seem to either be the most informed or the most willing to share information . I have been trying to find out for a while what type(s) of finish Remington used on there Remington 510, 511, 512, and 514 rifles. And it has either been crickets of just people not wanting to share what they know. So before I run off on my happy way, I thought I would post what I have come up with by digging though old gunsmith documents and articles; I'd really like the group's thoughts even though I know it's not about MILSURP.

From my investigation, it looks as though Remington started using Nitrocellulose Lacquer with a toner dye mixed in (Toner Lacquer) sometime late in the 20's or early 30's until it was displaced some time in the lates 50's by polyurethane. I tested the (inconspicuous area) finish on my 1947 Remington 510 and my 1950 514 and the finish melted off with plain Lacquer thinner and the wood was a lighter color indicating it was indeed Toner Lacquer.

However, I think toner lacquer was only used on the 'lower' end consumer firearms as the finish on my Remington Model 12's is not lacquer.

Thanks! Bill
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.