Greetings to you all.
I have contacted some of you privately trying to gather some of your expert opinion and unfortunately I am still looking for answers. I have an L4A4 bren which since acquiring it has had case head separations. It is a Historic Arms build which I have returned to them and they had it running on Radway Green ammunition. I have been unable to get more than 5 rounds down the pipe before having case head separation or other case ruptures causing a jamming issue. I have tried to headspace the gun to the best of my ability and it will close on a go and no go 308 (to be expected), but will not close on the 7.62x51 max case length gauge. I looked through the instructions that Sarco supplies with their new production barrels to check if the fit is correct and everything seems to be in order regarding correct spacing/gaps and lock up etc.
I have tried surplus remington from the 60/70s, 70s lake city, new production lake city from 2020, reloads, and all have had issues.
The gun will not cycle on gas setting two and will sometimes crack cases, but usually not have a separation. On 3 the gun will cycle, but almost guaranteed it will have a case head separation.
More information, the components are mostly enfield original parts. The barrel is enfield as well as the bolt and carrier if I remember correctly. I don't recall the receiver, but I don't think that matters for this.
A weird not is when doing a chamber casting following
Since the gun headspaced correctly I am starting to wonder if the gas system or extraction process is somehow causing a violent extraction.
If anyone has any information or ideas that could help I would greatly appreciate it. I scanned the forums back through 2015 without much luck.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.